Monday, September 22, 2008

A brand New Way

Many things came together this weekend: the National Church (thank you Douglas Fenton), the Diocese (thank you Bp Gumbs!) and my own resources pooled together to get me to Houston for a National Young Adult Conference, which was refreshing, empowering, surprising, and humbling. But rather than go long into it all, here's a simple top five list of the best parts of the weekend:
5. Being empowered for Young Adult ministry! It's so good to know the Diocese wants and needs this style of Ministry, i've been wanting so long to get something going...
4. meeting Miguelina Espinal (of PLSE) and seeing how that program and network might be vital to the community here in helping youth and young adults discern their christian vocation, not just find a high paying job (off island, no doubt)
3. meeting David Copley, who wants to lift up this arrangement and how Bp Gumbs, Bp Breidenthal (S OH) myself, and (with David's help) the National can work together to make long term mission placements healthier and more affordable for everyone. He thinks the National Church could help with ensuring my health insurance, a tender topic for me and one currently unresolved with the DVI.
2. meeting Lauren Woody, whose work in the D Atlanta is a model i think will work here, and I hope she might be a mentor to me about getting young adulty ministry going in the Islands. Great girl with amazing energy and a model that just might work on St. Thomas for sure...
1. Being affirmed in my call to theVirgin Islands. This isolation and lack of transportation has really been hard the last couple weeks, mostly because i'm impatient enough to want everything to set up "yesterday," BUT, talking with others who are or want to be doing real mission work with the church was so invigorating that I can't help but find some calm peace looking toward the upcoming months and years.

Other notable things from the weekend:
1. I have been out of the loop for the last day or so since my flight was canceled in Puerto Rico
2. Sorry! I don't apparently have voicemail capability with this new VI number...
3. I now have an internet connection at the Domini House, so if anyone wants a web cam chat...it's on!

No comments: